Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why Choose To Be An Entrepreneur?

From the time I first discussed about the possibilty of running my own business., it has taken me less than half a year to make up my mind and plan for my exit from my previous job.

So, what made me decide to leave a job I love to start out on my own?

I felt that I was no good at office politics and didn't know how to use it to my advantage. I couldn't foresee myself working for someone else in the long term. If office politics were pulling me behind instead of propelling me ahead, maybe it's time to start my own company and build my own culture.

The timing happened to be right.

So, here's a list of reasons that pushed me ahead:

Self-Starter

  • Freedom, it's my call!
    • Being totally in charge of a business means I get to decide its culture,  directions, customers and even down to simple things like the working hours. I'm not a morning person and ever since starting my own business, I really do enjoy sleeping in late.
    • As a woman myself, I believe that at least 1 parent should be around during children's formative years. The flexibility to manage my own timing when I eventually have children is very attractive and important to me.
  • Potential to significantly increase my income
    • You have to realistic if you want to start your own business. Do a projection to estimate when you'll start to earn sufficiently and don't even start if you're not comfortable with the timeline.
    • If I were to continue on my corporate path, I would be able to safely gauge my comfortable future earnings. But I know that if I can manage my business(es) well, I'll be able to earn many times more, in addition to doing things I truly love and with the freedom to do it my way.
  • Excitement & Challenges
    • I thrive on challenges; constant learning and growth is paramount to my mental health.
    • We excel in whatever we're passionate about. I knew that if I were to start a business, it'll be build around my passion and be my baby. I was sure that I'll experience satisfaction in the process of learning all the aspects of running a business.
  • Support
    • The support from my family members and boyfriend definitely gave me peace of mind. Both my paternal and maternal grandfathers (and my father) are businesses owner and this may have helped. My boyfriend have been ever so encouraging and is still helping me out whenever he can spare the time.
    • For those of you who are thinking of starting your business, do speak with your loved ones and share your plans. It'll save you the headache to manage any conflicts to on top of your business and financial challenges.
  • Timing
    • I don't want to live with the thought of "What if?" for the rest of my life. Since I have not much of obligations currently and had gain some work experience, I felt that the timing was right to  pursue my dreams.
    • Finding the right partner is of great importance to the survival of any business. It was just the right timing when my good friend brought up this idea when we were both ready.
What about you? Do drop me a comment and let me know what prompted you to start your own business?

No comments:

Post a Comment