Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pinky & The Brain

How many of you out there loved the cartoon, Pinky and the Brain? I use them as my profile picture because of my background in Science and my past as a lab rat.



I was sucked into the propaganda that life science was the next big thing and I've imagined myself to be a cool brainy researcher.

*Dwang* back to reality, I was merely one of the lab rats trapped in the cage like those 2 above. I had worked in a hospital laboratory and also a forensic science laboratory. CSI was hot then and many thought I had a cool job in a forensic lab.

Only 3 days into a new lab job, whch was also my last lab job, I called my good friend and cried as I saw my future. It was bleak and a big clockwork routine. I couln't accept that thought. To me, that was the end of my growth and the start of my brain decline.

If there are defining moments in everyone's life, that was definitely one of mine. I spent 2 months pouring through books, reflecting on my strengths, weakness, loves, dislikes and talking to a lot of people before realising what I wanted out of my life.

In the end, I decided on marketing as my next career move. Next came the 2 years relentless pursuit of getting good job interviews, upgrading my skill sets, numerous rejections (from potential employers and from my end too) before I finally got a marketing role as a marketing executive.

I took a pay cut, gave my heart to the job and am thankful for that opportunity.

And today, I love being where I am in life. And like the 2 rats, you know what I want to do each morning right? Yeah, to take over the world!



Pinky: Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?

Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

I hope to achieve a kind heart like Pinky's and the brain size of The Brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment