Monday, March 1, 2010

When To Recover Bad Debts Through The Small Claims Tribunal?

Besides fulfilling the criteria listed in my earlier post, I have accessed my situation by considering these factors:
  • Whether the company will still be in business 6 months after I file my claim
    • Reason being that if the company closes down within 6 months, it may be harder to reach the respondent (debtor).
    • Also, by that by the time action is being taken, they may not have much assets left for me to seize since they are no longer in business.
  • Whether the company has assets worth seizing
    • For eg., my debtor was a retail company without valuable asset. Even with the writ of seizure, there may not be much valuable asset for me to seize.
The above is my own personal decision making process and it may not be the best course of action for your business.

Do think through and access your own situation thoroughly before taking any actions.

And if there's any other considerations or important points to note, I hope others out there will share and post their comments so that we can help one another out. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment